Life Lessons Learned from JxnYP
Jackson Young Professionals (JxnYP) turned one in April! It has been a full twelve months of learning and development. The life lessons gained from being involved with such a dynamic group are proving to be a valuable, and often priceless, education.
Life Lesson #1: relentless planning and organization is the key to our success. Over the course of the year, JxnYP has become an official 501 (c) 6 with the State of Michigan, organized a board of directors, planned twelve monthly meetings and socials at twenty-four different local businesses, hosted a Family Fall Festival, Congressional Candidate Political Panel, and New Year ’s Eve Celebration. We’ve also volunteered our time and talents at other non-profit organizations in Jackson and have held dozens and dozens of committee meetings to keep the organization going! It is one thing after the next and it is proving to keep the momentum of the group consistent and successful.
Life Lesson #2: people make the place. Jackson has always been home for me. But, because of the new relationships that I have built through JxnYP I have come to realize that this is exactly where I want to be. With over 350 names of people between the ages of 21-40 on our communication distribution list, it’s not hard to find a new friend, or five. While each person is unique and has different reasons for joining JxnYP, I can tell you that their interests, passions and creative ideas truly make Jackson a great place to live, work and play and they are exactly the reason why I participate in all three activities!
Life Lesson #3: never stop growing and learning. Jackson Young Professionals has had a very successful year. But, we’re not going to stop growing and learning anytime soon. In fact, our most recent development is a structured membership offering. For an annual $50 membership, you or someone you know can be an official member of JxnYP! What’s that price get you? Other than a tremendous network of peers and priceless experiences making an impact in the Jackson community, here are a few of the perks:
- Free or reduced rates at all JxnYP educational or social events.
- Voting rights in elections.
- Eligibility to be elected to the board of directors.
- Ability to serve on committees.
- Access to networking portal on jxnyp.com
- Discounts at local Jackson Young Professional Loyalty Partner Businesses such as; 127 Brewing, Arbor Hills Golf Course, Ella Sharp Museum, In Good Company, Jackson Coffee Company, Law Offices of Richard C. Mills & Associates, Michigan Office Solutions, The Chase, Thinking Real Estate Associates and many more, as we continually add to our partnerships.
JxnYP looks forward to another year of successes and learning experiences in 2015. Connect with us on social media outlets or at our monthly large group meetings on the Third Thursday!
By: Leslie Youngdahl